Building Tomorrow Fellows are an essential component of the Thriving Schools Program. During a two-year Fellowship, Fellows are embedded in four rural schools and their surrounding communities, working to develop schools that thrive long past Building Tomorrow's involvement. Fellows work includes:
Ensuring school leadership have the tools and training needed to manage a Thriving School.
Enrolling out-of-school children to ensure every child has the opportunity to receive a primary education.
Working alongside teachers and school leadership to improve student outcomes through Building Tomorrow’s Roots to Rise initiative.
Empowering the local community via recruitment of Community Education Volunteers to support the development of the school and its students.
Community Education Volunteers engaged
Formerly out-of-school children re-enrolled by Fellows & CEVs
*All numbers aggregated since the start of the program in 2015 and current as of October 2020.
Apply to become a Fellow
The deadline to apply to join the 6th Cohort of Building Tomorrow Fellows has now passed. Thank you to all who applied. The next opportunity to apply for the Building Tomorrow Fellowship will be in late 2021, so please check back around that time to apply.
Requirements & Frequently Asked Questions
Program Qualification Requirements
What are the qualification requirements for the program?
- Bachelor’s degree from any recognized university or higher institution of learning.
- Aged 25 years and below, with no more than 2 years of post-university training.
- Possess a passion for education equality, creative ingenuity, a relentless work ethic, and belief in collaboratively engaging with others.
- Able to work in rural and hard to reach districts, and willing to relocate and base in these districts. Past placement districts include Kiboga, Kyankwanzi, Luweero, Mityana, Mubende, Nakaseke, Nakasongola, Iganga, Kamuli, Namayingo, Namutumba, Adjumani, Moyo, Yumbe, Hoima, Kibaale, Kiryandongo, Masindi.
- Able to speak any of the local languages in the placement districts listed above.
- Good communication skills and high degree of leadership, speciﬁcally emotional intelligence.
- Commit to complete 24 months of the leadership journey with strict compliance to Building Tomorrow code of conduct.
- Computer literate and demonstrates mastery of computer essentials.
I am older than 25 years of age, can I still apply for the Fellows Program?
Unfortunately, we only accept applicants 25 years and younger. If older than 25 years of age, you are not eligible for the program and may not apply.
I do not have a bachelor's degree, can I still apply for the Fellows Program?
The Fellows Program only admits young graduates with a bachelor’s degree and above. If you only hold a diploma, certificate or any other qualifications below a bachelor’s degree, you are not eligible for the program and may not apply.
I am currently in my final year of University, can I still apply if I have not graduated?
If you are in the final year of University and completed your final examinations, yes you are eligible and may apply. The program admits university students that have completed final examinations, but have not yet graduated. If you are currently processing your testimonial and transcripts, you are eligible to apply.
I hold a Master’s degree, can I apply for the Fellows Program?
Yes, you can apply for the Fellows Program, but must be aged 25 years or younger, with field experience of 2 years or fewer.
Do I need to pay to be placed in the Fellows Program?
No applicant is required to pay for placement in the Fellows Program.
When is the next opportunity to apply?
The next opportunity to apply for the Building Tomorrow Fellowship will be in late 2021, so please check back around that time to apply.
I would like to apply for the Fellows program - what are the procedures for applying?
The next opportunity to apply for the Building Tomorrow Fellowship will be in late 2021, so please check back around that time to apply. The application will be available online.
You didn't answer my question - who can I contact if I have additional questions?
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any additional questions.